HELLO, I AM
LEE YONG CIEH, EDWIN
HELLO, I AM
LEE YONG CIEH, EDWIN
Get to know
Edwin is a corporate and technology lawyer. He is also the founder and managing partner of Lee & Poh Partnership (LPP Law).
Edwin has advised a range of companies from technology startups to multinational corporations on a range of matters including cross-border M&As, venture capital financings, foreign investments in Malaysia, general corporate, commercial and employment issues, e-commerce, digital media, digital and electronic signatures, online payment systems as well as data protection and privacy matters. He pays particular interest to the technology, Internet and e-commerce sectors and also advises clients on regulatory and licensing matters for competition, telecommunications, data protection, anti-corruption and cybersecurity.
Edwin looks at problems from a 100-feet above and not from the ground up. He takes pride in coming up with practical, strategic and business-oriented solutions, while helping his clients see the big picture, rather than allowing small details get in the way of completing the deal. Edwin enjoys keeping up with the latest technology and he believes the practice of law is technology-driven. He is a strong advocate for working efficiently to minimize client costs and maximize productivity.
Edwin is deeply immersed in the entrepreneurial and startups community, having built and ran a tech startup before he formed this law firm. This experience makes him attuned to the business and legal issues facing startups and emerging growth companies. Edwin speaks frequently at conferences; writes articles and book chapters as well as gets interviewed by the media related to his areas of practice/interest.
Edwin also sits on the board of International Social Media Association, being the only representative for Malaysia.
In 2020, Edwin was named as a Malaysian Rising Star by Asian Legal Business, a finalist for the Young Lawyer of the Year at the ALB Malaysia Law Awards as well as a lawyer in the annual ALB publication of Asia 40 under 40.
LL.B (Hons) London
Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP)
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
Kuala Lumpur Bar
High Court of Malaya
Cantonese, Teochew, Hokkien
Learn how you can build a partnership with us to achieve your organization's objectives!
FIRST CONSULTATION ABSOLUTELY FREE!
- Tay & Partners
- Christopher & Lee Ong
- Chia, Lee & Associates
- Gan, Lee & Tan
Mergers & Acquisitions, General Corporate Advisory
- Assisted in negotiations and documentation for a sale of asset of a Malaysian company involving in the business of manufacturing die-casting and precision machining of parts for electronic equipment, computer peripherals, VTR and VTR camera related equipment as well as automobile and industrial parts.
- Assisted in negotiations and documentation for a sale of business of a food coating, seasoning, sauces, dressing and process flavours manufacturing company in Malaysia to a UK public listed company.
- Assisted in negotiations and documentation for an Asia-based private equity firm on the acquisition of shares and trade marks of the second largest cereal and snack producer in Indonesia as well as a property from an Indonesian company.
- Assisted in advising two private limited companies (wholly owned by a public company listed on Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad) on the subscription for irredeemable convertible preference shares in a private limited company that engages in renewable energy sector and the acquisition of a piece of land from a private limited company.
- Assisted in advising a well-known Japanese car manufacturer on its plan to acquire land in Malaysia for establishment of a manufacturing plant.
- Assisted in advising a government-linked corporation (GLC) on its disposal of its subsidiary operating the cable car business in Pulau Langkawi.
- Part of the team assisting in due diligence and documentation in relation to a sale of the largest energy business in Asia and Middle East to a Malaysian GLC.
- Part of the team assisting in due diligence and documentation in relation to an initial public offering of a Malaysian-based long haul low cost carrier on Bursa Malaysia.
- Assisted in negotiations and documentation for a proposed acquisition of a commercial bank in Cambodia by a Malaysian public listed company.
- Assisted in advising several public listed companies on their submissions to the Securities Commission and Bursa Malaysia Securities in respect of their corporate exercises.
- Advised foreign businesses on doing business in Malaysia and localising various foreign sale and purchase terms.
- Assisted in advising a public listed company on the disposal of its higher education institution to a UK based company.
- Assisted in advising client on setting up an online business in Malaysia.
- Assisted in advising multinational telecommunication companies and service providers on the regulatory and licensing requirements of the Malaysian telecommunications industry, including their respective applications for various licences under the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
- Assisted in setting up an Internet service provider in Malaysia (Ohana), including its operations and negotiations with telecommunication vendors and service providers.
- Assisted in advising and strategizing defence for a domain name provider who maintains and provides domain name services to a local airline in an alleged DDoS/hacking incident.
- Assisted in advising a tech startup on its plan to set up a crowd-funding platform and another tech startup on its plan to set up a P2P lending platform.
- Assisted in advising the largest video sharing platform in the world on its proposed collaboration with several major telcos in Malaysia.
- Assisted in advising the largest social networking company on various issues involving direct marketing, advertising, net neutrality, free basic Internet service as well as privacy and data protection.
- Advising a Malaysian company on the distinctions between digital and electronic signatures and its implementation.
Privacy & Personal Data Protection Law
- Assisted in drafting forms and documents for end users including website terms and conditions of use and privacy statements.
- Assisted in advising on all aspects of sector-specific personal data protection law in sectors such as banking and financial institution, healthcare, insurance as well as telecommunication and multimedia (including their related regulations, enactments, industry codes of practice and guidelines).
- Assisted in advising a multinational telecommunications company on its personal data transfer agreement.
- Assisted in advising a foreign commercial bank in Malaysia on its key compliance, legal, operational and financial policies, encompassing advice on data protection, banking secrecy and privacy and their implications on forms and agreements entered into between the bank and third parties.
- Led a team of 8 lawyers under the supervision of a partner to conduct and complete end-to-end PDPA compliance exercise for 30 clients with businesses involved in logistics, public transportation, banking, retail, property development, hotel management, higher education, IT related services, tiles manufacturing, electronic, power and energy, accountancy and audit, etc.
- Advising a digital company of a local conglomerate and a prominent local telco on the legality of their big data analytics on customers’ data and recommending steps towards achieving compliance with the PDPA.
- Assisted in advising and drafting an anti-money laundering compliance program for a multinational company, including advising on the potential implications from the Foreign Corrupt Practices Actof 1977 in the US and the Bribery Act 2010 in the UK.
- Assisted in advising a Japanese car manufacturing company on anti-corruption law and practice in Malaysia.
- Assisted in advising a multinational company on occupational safety and health regulations that affect its business operations in Malaysia.
- Assisted in advising and helping the establishment of the very first Hong Kong-Malaysia Business Association.
- Advised companies on a wide range of regulatory compliance issues stemming from the Personal Data Protection Act 2010, Competition Act 2010, Price Control and Anti-Profiteering Act 2011, Consumer Protection Act 1999, Credit Reporting Agencies Act 2010.
- Assisted in drafting PDPA codes of practice for insurance industry and legal profession in Malaysia.
- Assisted in drafting a submission paper to Bank Negara Malaysia in response to the public consultation paper on FinTech sandbox regulation.
- Assisted in drafting a submission paper to Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in response to the public consultation paper on Mandatory Standard on Access.
- Assisted a world leading courier company in conducting an audit on its technology compliance with ISO 27001:2013.
- Assisted in advising a global provider of on-demand Internet streaming of films and television series on general doing business guide in Malaysia, various regulatory issues including content rules and regulations, censorship requirements, etc.
- Advised Asia’s first fully-licensed stock exchange focused solely on digital assets on its legal governance and compliance matters including listing requirements, data protection and privacy, anti-money laundering as well as frameworks relating to such exchange.
- Reviewed and advised the financing agreements for a licensed peer-to-peer financing platform in Malaysia.
- Advised several Malaysian blockchain companies on their initial coin offering exercises abroad.
- Crafted and implemented anti-bribery policy and whistleblowing framework and training for several Japanese companies.
- Assisted in advising an airline in relation to a proposed decision issued by the Malaysian Competition Commission under the Competition Act 2010.
- Assisted in preparing presentation materials on the Competition Act 2010 to several corporate clients.
- Rendered opinions on competition law matters.
Intellectual Property Law
- Assisted in advising clients on various intellectual property rights matters such as trade mark, copyright, confidential information/trade secret, cosmetic and drug registration procedures, advertisement rules and contest regulations.
- Assisted in advising and drafting commercial contracts such as employment, sponsorship, suppliers’ engagement, licensing, assignment, distributorship, non-disclosure agreements.
- Assisted in filing trade mark registration, drafting legal submissions to the Trade Mark Registrar.
- Assisted in carrying out trade mark searches at Trade Mark office.
- Assisted in carrying out raids and enforcements and trials and proceedings in courts.
- Assisted in drafting various court documents such as summons, statement of claims, affidavits, consent judgments, judgment in default.
- Assisted in advising a local company on a transaction involving sale of GPS map data to a Japanese company.
- Edwin’s strong work ethics surpass any other lawyers of his standing that I have known, met and engaged with. In the interests of working commitment and perfection for his clients, he has had, in many instances, accommodated his weekends for them. That itself, is an enduring sacrifice which I personally believe will provide Edwin a fast track of breadth experience in his career progression (his maturity may speed up faster than his age). As much as he loves writing, I am intrigued with his thoughts within the masterpieces and articles that he has written elsewhere. His mind speaks through writing and the thoughts that have poured are derived from the engagements and learning curves that he experienced with clients. I have no hesitation and even a doubt in recommending Edwin’s expertise to future clients. He is a “wow’! – Ankura
- Edwin has been both my personal and company lawyer as well. Throughout his service, his team has proven to be very professional, efficient and detailed. They are very comprehensive when giving legal advice, covering all possible angles and giving sound, practical and more importantly, multiple solutions to each and every legal situation that I was in. In addition, I am extremely impressed that his legal team is always well informed on the latest legal development in the industry that I am in, thus making me feel comfortable with any of his legal advice. I have faith with his team that they always provide what’s best for me and my company. Highly recommended their service! – MODEN
- As a law firm, especially Edwin, not only take care about the legal and documentary part, they also look into the event progress, and really wholeheartedly support us. As a startup, we might neglect a lot of legal issue, with LPP Law as our backup, we can move faster and more steady. – MyStartr
- Since the inception of our business, we have leaned on Edwin and his team at LPP Law for advice and guidance. Edwin is a true professional and always makes sure that our best interests are served. We are very fortunate to have met him and going forward we would continue to seek his firm’s services. – Carput
- Edwin is great to work with! He is very patient and accommodating, while providing clear and thorough work. A pleasure to have worked with such a mainstream lawyer – Moola
- Edwin has been quick to review our requirements in forming a commercial contract and gave good advice on how to further improve and strengthen it. We are grateful for his quick turnaround in generating the contract. – TRIVE Singapore
- Samsung has high standards and expectations of its selected external legal counsel, which includes speedy responses and legal advice which provide legal solution that fits with Samsung’s needs. Edwin Lee & his team are easily accessible and approachable with reasonable professional fees that commensurate with the quality of services which has been provided. – Samsung SDI Malaysia
Edwin Lee is a strong proponent in providing value, disseminating ideas, and educating the masses via writing. Over and above 15 years of dedication to the cause, here are some of his notable works.
- “An Analysis of the Personal Data Protection Bill 2009: Conferring Better Protection or Attracting More Problems?” LL.M Main Research Paper, University of Malaya, 20,000 words, under the supervision of Prof Datuk Dr. Khaw Lake Tee
- “Beyond Data Protection: Strategic Case Studies and Practical Guidance” Springer, March 2013, ISBN 978-3-642-33080-3 (co-author)
- “Media and Entertainment: A Practical Legal, Business and Strategy Guide” Sweet & Maxwell Asia (Thomson Reuters), October 2013, ISBN 9789670498645 (contributor)
- “Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Malaysian Precedents of Pleadings” Sweet & Maxwell Asia (Thomson Reuters), November 2017 (contributor)
- “Cybersecurity Laws in Malaysia”, OneTrust Data Guidance, November 2019 (co-author)
- “The New Normal from Covid-19 Pandemic: Embrace Legal Technology and Innovation”, Asian Legal Business, July 2020 (co-author)
- “Social Media Laws in Malaysia”, International Social Media Association (contributor), to be published in 2021
- 40+ legal articles on CHIP Magazine Malaysia, a computer and communications magazine. Click here read them for free.